Monday, December 5, 2011

ASL

Hey Adam,

In class you talked about your daughter wanting to learn ASL. I don't know of classes at the Lexington Public Library and I looked on their event calendar and found nothing. However, ASL is my minor and there are many websites out there that are very helpful.

http://www.lifeprint.com/ Life print is an amazing website to use. On the website a guy has created lessons that are similar to my ASL 101, 102, and 202 textbooks. You could use the website and teacher her a lesson everyday.

http://www.aslpro.com/ ASL pro is another good website but it is more of a dictionary.

Also every first and third Friday of the month deaf and hard of hearing people from Lexington all come together and meet at the Fayette mall food court to socialize. EKU students are always coming to these event. Next time I go to the mall I can ask someone if they know of any classes that are provided to teach ASL. I can also ask one of my ASL professors for you.

I think the best thing to do is take an ASL class at EKU and then just reteach your daughter when you get home that way you are both learning a new language and teaching her helps you remember the language. ASL is a beautiful language I would encourage everyone to learn it because as a special education teacher you can use it to communicate obviously with Deaf and hard of hearing students but you can also use it to communicate with nonverbal autistic children or any student that can't communicate verbally. Hope this helps you. :)

7 comments:

  1. I am in an ASL class here and I LOVE IT!!! take one it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really would like to learn ASL! It is amazing! And would be a handy tool with teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love ASL! KSD has community classes they teach every Monday I believe. You can call or look them up on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, thank you for taking the time to share this information! It's a great use of the blog and a way to really reach out to your classmates. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning ASL has changed my life in so many ways! I have met so many inspirational people and friends through this beautiful language. I have also had the opportunity to teach my boyfriends mom who has become profoundly deaf in one ear and moderately deaf in the other, some signs that have helped her more effectively communicate with her family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica thank you this is very usefull- sorry it took me so long to check the blog I hope you recieve my thanks!...
    Also, I was in ASL 101 this semester- I love it, I am taking 102 next semester as well.

    ReplyDelete